As an extension to our “How to” page we wanted to also have another area on our site where we could share some tips to help you when making jerk.
- Soak your leaves, sticks and chips for at least 20 minutes to avoid any flare ups.
- Do not open the grill in between flips, doing so will result in leathery/rubbery chicken skin. No peeking in-between flips!
- Marinade your chickens 36-48 hours if you can especially whole chickens 5 lbs+
- Be sure that your water pan always has sufficient water during your cook and be sure to place a few pimento leaves in the water pan to infuse even more flavor!
- Baste your chicken with beer during the last 60 minutes of the cook
- Be sure your pimento wood chips are smoking before you put the meat on
- Do not poke chicken with a fork during cooking as this will release essential juices that make jerk so delicious and tender
- Once your meat is done wrap in tinfoil for 10 minutes or so before serving to allow the juices to build within the meats.